Monday, February 28, 2011

The First Month In Review


Our first German home- TLF (Temporary Living Quarters)
 Ramstein A.F.B.


Our first German meal- Andreas Stubes in Landstuhl

Me in front of Burg Berwartstein


Scott and I checking out the castle ruins of Burg Lichtenburg
 Well, today is the one month anniversary of our arrival in Germany. We have experienced lots of firsts including our first German meal, our first castle,our first insane trip on the autobahn, and of course, our introduction to the awesomeness of heated towel racks!
It's definately been a period of adjustment, and I don't think we'll feel completely "here" until we move into our house at the end of this month, but we're grateful to have the opportunity to see another part of the world.
So far we've explored 3 castles- Burg Lichtenberg, Burg Berwartenstein, and Burg Nanstein. (If you haven't caught on yet, "burg" means "castle" or "fortress"). The crazy thing is, we haven't even touched the tip of the iceberg yet. You can't swing a dead cat in Germany, and not hit a castle. They love their "burgs"!
We've also enjoyed lots of food. I was a little dissapointed to find out that saurkraut is not to be found on the menu in most German Restaurants around here. Germany is divided up into several "states" or regions, and we live in the Rhineland- Phalz region. This area is known for it's wine, but alas, no saurkraut. I guess we have to head to Bavaria for that.
Another big landmark has been getting my German driver's license. One may think it wouldn't be an issue, but driving over here is WEIRD!! I guess to be fair, I should admit that we Americans are probably the wierd ones. German's are very ordered, and when you think about it, they're rules for driving make a lot of sense. The problem is that you actually have to pay attention while you're driving. I studied not to pass the test, but to keep from maiming innocent people. I haven't had an opportunity to try my newfound knowlege yet, because our rental car is a standard, and I'm not sure that trying out a new set of road rules goes well with me trying to find the right gear at the right time...I'm just saying.
It's been a good month, and I know we have so much more ahead of us. I'm looking forward to getting settled in, and getting a calling at church. I'm also looking into starting a nursing program while I'm here. One things for sure, it's gonna be a crazy ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment